• Home
  • Difference Between Coated and Uncoated Engineering Bond

What’s the difference between coated and uncoated engineering bond paper?

When choosing engineering bond paper, it’s important to know how the paper will be used.

Uncoated bond paper is typically used for everyday drawing, printing, and copying. Because the matte surface of this paper is naturally more porous, it is better suited for use with monochromatic plotters, engineering copiers, and inkjet printers and for pen-and-ink, or graphite drawings and handwritten notes. Because the paper absorbs some of the inks, uncoated bond papers typically dry faster than coated papers.

Coated bond paper is best for inkjet-printed color renderings, color maps, and photographs because the paper has been chemically treated to make it brighter, smoother, or more opaque. The coating fills in the tiny pits in the base paper, providing an even, less porous surface for the inks. Text, color renderings, and photographs look sharper on coated papers because less ink soaks into the paper. While many coated papers look glossier than uncoated papers, some coated papers have matte or satin finishes.

If you can’t decide which type of engineering bond paper would be best for a specific job, give us a call at 866-310-3335.